Woman Transforms Local Spar Into £500,000 House

We all have a lot of love for our corner shops, but moving into one is a next level of commitment that is more than deserving of our applause.

And this is precisely what Elizabeth Williams has done with her local Spar. Only with quite a major twist.

The 55-year-old from Porthcawl, Wales didn’t just buy her derelict corner shop. She transformed it into a £500,000 home.

Mrs. Williams spent seven months demolishing the store and rebuilding it and the results are amazing.

Image: Elizabeth Williams

Speaking to WalesOnline, Mrs. Williams said, “It was totally derelict, with no amenities, very dark and dingy, extremely wet but I couldn’t wait to get started.

“Friends and family thought we were mad, and couldn’t believe we were taking on another project involving a derelict building.

“Overall the residents in the local community were extremely pleased that the building was going to be restored from its derelict condition.”

Unsurprisingly, given the state of the derelict building and the fact it was being turned from a commercial property into a residential one, there was a lot of work to process before the transformation could begin.

Because the Spar was originally attached to a neighbouring property, it had to be detached, with designs discussed with the local council.

Images: Thompsons Estate Agents, Porthcawl

“Due to the close proximity of the neighbouring property a party wall agreement had to be put in place too which ensured certain stipulations were met which served everybody’s interests,” Mrs. Williams said.

“However the main challenge then appeared in the form of COVID-19 and building had to stop.

“This delayed the project for a considerable amount of time as not only were our builders refrained from working there was also a dearth of building materials when they eventually resumed as the building suppliers had no stock.”

“I wanted to create something with a coastal feel, being so close to Newton beach, so we discussed the matter with our architect Peter Lee and tasked him to design a property encompassing this. He came up with the boathouse design and that’s how it evolved.”

The transformation has resulted in the former Spar now standing as a three bedroom detached house, with all bedrooms completely en-suite. It is completed with an open plan lounge and kitchen as well as a wrap around garden.

“I wanted an open-plan design with a contemporary feel. The kitchen is of linear design and I feel it is the perfect fusion of functionality and style.

“The units are lacquered high gloss in light grey, with integrated handles J-Pull style, and marble effect work surfaces and I think its sleek design sits seamlessly within the room.”

And just looking at the photos of the huge undertaking Mrs. Williams took on, we’re sure you’ll agree that a remarkable job has been done.