Pub Charges Insane Amount For Pint After Increasing Prices Post-Lockdown

It may be amazing to have pubs, bars and restaurants reopened, but one pub in London has left customers with a sour taste after it was revealed how much they were now charging for a pint.

Of course, it is to be expected that some establishments may now be charging slightly more for items on their menu, given that they have significant losses to recoup after being unable to operate properly for so long.

But one pub in Roehampton has generated publicity after it was revealed they were now charging £7 for a pint of Peroni.

Customer Raj Trivedi told MailOnline that his local had hiked the price by 60p, after he had been used to parting with £6.40 for a pint, previously.

Drink distributors G+G Gallo Enterprises have listed price increases from suppliers, with Budweiser and Stella Four seeing the largest hike at 12.7p per pint, while Becks and Stella have gone up 12p and Blue Moon 9p.

Heineken UK owned Star Pubs and Bars have claimed that people are actually happy to pay more for their drinks now everywhere is reopening.

They said in an email: “It’s not up to us to dictate pricing in our pubs, it’s up to individual pub landlords and our advice is there to help their livelihoods.

“We know from research that people are prepared to pay a bit more for a pint and are looking forward to getting back to the pub with their friends and family.”

Tom Stainer, CAMRA Chief Executive, thinks differently, however, believing that establishments should be keeping prices lower to keep customers happy, as he told MailOnline: “We completely understand that at a time pubs are struggling to remain viable as they reopen under continued restrictions that limit the number of customers they can welcome, they may be tempted to raise prices.

“We’d urge them to keep price rises to a minimum where possible – at a time when customers have got used to much cheaper supermarket booze, we need to do everything we can to encourage people to return to supporting their locals and price hikes might not help.

“The Government could really help by cutting the duty paid on draught beer served in pubs, which would allow pubs to maintain, or reduce the cost of a pint, while still making a living.”

While no one could begrudge pubs lifting prices a little bit after the year they’ve just had, seven quid for a pint does feel a bit grim, doesn’t it?