Builder Digs Up Patio And Finds Human Remains

So this is the most terrifying discovery to make when digging up your patio.

Builder Robbie Kearney discovered human remains underneath a patio while digging a soaraway hole for drainage at a family’s home in Heytesbury, Wiltshire.

There were five skeletons in total; Three adults, one juvenile and a younger child. Experts are hoping to determine the age of the bones, although police have confirmed that this process could take several weeks.

Robbie, a 32-year-old self employed builder for Mouldings in South Newton explained how the team he was working with immediately stopped what they were doing upon making the grisly discovery.

“I found a few bones, which I assumed were animal bones and went down a bit further and found some more bones.

“Then I went a bit deeper and found a skull. That’s when I realised they were human remains.

“It came as a bit of a shock as I’ve never found a skull before.”

Robbie’s colleague, 48-year-old Paul Tapper, informed the property owners, Matthew and Amelia Jackson, straight away. Police sent CSI vehicles to the home as soon as they were contacted.

Mr. Jackson said, “It has certainly created some interest in the village.

“We have had workmen here since the beginning of last week building drainage and a soakaway in our lawn for a patio.

“The builders were digging up the lawn and made the discovery on Wednesday. We phoned the police who came out straight away.

“They were here on Thursday, along with forensic officers and one of the Wiltshire archaeologists came out.

“The remains have been sent away for carbon dating and it may be a while before we get the results.

“It’s all quite interesting. They mentioned the early medieval period, possibly the 5th century.”

Local historian Joe Charlesworth said, “They are likely to be from a plague pit. Rumour has it that there are more in the village.”

Sam Fox, of Wiltshire Council, called the discovery an ‘exciting and unexpected find’.

He added, “Our archaeology team visited along with Wiltshire Police, and agreed that this is likely to be the disturbed remains of a number of graves from the early medieval period.

“From what our team have identified so far, these look like Christian graves representing people of different ages and of both genders, so they may represent the place where there had been an earlier church in Saxon or later times.

“Our archaeology team will be keeping an eye on further drainage work going on in the garden and will put together a report once the radiocarbon date has been confirmed by the police forensic team.

“This is an exciting and unexpected discovery in an area that our archaeology team don’t often get an opportunity to investigate, and we look forward to further developments on this discovery.”

Wiltshire Police said: “Enquiries are being carried following the discovery of bones in the garden of an address in Heytesbury.

“A forensic archaeologist has been at the site, working to establish how old these remains are.

“The scientific dating of the bones found at an address in Heytesbury has not yet been completed.

“At this stage there is no evidence to suggest we are dealing with a crime scene.”

Mr Jackson has confirmed that once the carbon dating is complete, the remains will be given another proper burial.