Shop Selling 150,000x Strength Vodka Has Alcohol License Revoked

We imagine many off licenses have seen a dramatic upturn in sales over the last 10 months, with a large amount of the general pub going public unable to visit their local haunts due to various lockdowns and tier restrictions. However, no matter how desperate many of us may have got while waiting for the boozers to throw open their socially distanced doors, we doubt we would have ever indulged in vodka that was ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND TIMES the average strength.

Zabka, in Lincoln, was raided on 9th December after it was discovered to be selling bottles of vodka under the name ‘Krackoff’.

The store, which was also selling illegal medicine, seized 62 bottles of non-duty paid alcohol, five of which were ‘Krackoff’ as well almost 200 illicit medicinal products. Anyone who has purchased a bottle of ‘Krackoff’ has been encouraged to alert the police.

Zabka had been found to be stocking large amounts of illegal products. Image: Lincolnshire Police

When the ‘Krackoff’ was sent for testing, it was discovered to contain 150,000 times more industrial alcohol than is legally permitted by British law. A hearing was held on 11th February before the Lincoln City Council Licensing Sub-committee, who agreed with police regarding the illegality of the products on sale and decided to revoke the establishment’s Alcohol Premises License.

Sergeant Kim Enderby from the Alcohol Licensing Department said: “The fake Vodka was branded as Krackoff Vodka, test indicated it contained industrial alcohol and was unfit for human consumption.

“If anyone sees or has bought this particular product they should contact the police or trading standards. This is the first known seizure of this particular illicit brand on mainland Britain and we are working with the Food Standards Agency to trace its origins.

“Other brands seized were genuine but paying duty on them had been avoided. None of these products would have been available from a legitimate wholesaler; they are distributed by criminal gangs via the illegal black market. Alongside the alcohol we seized were a large amount of foreign branded medicines on sale.

Fake medicines were also being stocked as well as illicit alcohol. Image: Lincolnshire Police

“We seized 190 packets, some of which proved to be prescription only products in the UK and should have only been available from a pharmacy. The store potentially put the health of its customers at risk, as well as gaining unfair advantage over neighbouring legitimate stores.”

We’ll be honest, there’s plenty of vodka we’ve had in our time that has been unfit for human consumption.

(H/T LADbible)

Leave a Reply