Contractor Sacked For Sharing Video of ‘Wonky Walls’ at Housing Development

A contractor has lost a job he was working on after sharing a video of ‘laughable’ work that had been carried out on a housing development.

Keith Barker filmed footage of some seriously shoddy building work that had been carried out, including one of a builder laughing while failing to hold a spirit level up against a very questionable wall.

Barker also took a photo of some dodgy brickwork on the new-build Persimmon Homes’ Lodmoor Sands development in Weymouth, Dorset, where houses can set buyers back over £190,000.

However, the contractor’s photo and video content wasn’t well received with everyone.

In an interview about the work on the site, Barker said, “I’ve never seen brickwork that bad before. The bloke in charge of the bricklayers told me they’re just under a lot of pressure to hurry up and get the job done, which I think is a major cause of it.

“In all seriousness, I think it’s disgraceful they can sell the houses looking like that for what people pay, some I think start at £190,000.

“It’ll be right”. Image: Caters

“You’d expect decent work, some of the lead flashing is disgraceful as well and ridge tiles aren’t even straight. You can see so many things that just aren’t right.

“It’s down to rushed workmanship, that’s the idea I’m getting from the guys on the ground. This needs to be put out there for the customers. People who are out there buying their first house, then having problems later down the line, it just isn’t fair on them.”

Imagine seeing these posts after you’d just put your deposit down. Images: Caters

Just days after the images and video, which can be viewed in it’s entirety HERE, were posted, the site manager got in touch with Barker to inform him his services were no longer required.

A spokesman for Persimmon Homes South Coast said: “The photos – taken last year – depict work in progress on unoccupied houses on an active building site. Before completion our houses go through multiple checking stages, including with customers personally, to address issues of concern.”

Barker posted the photos to a Facebook group, which led to his dismissal on 22nd January.

“I’m a bit upset about it. But it goes to show how they’re prepared to bury it under the carpet.

“They don’t want me there because I was making a scene by mentioning this to people, who were agreeing with me that the brickwork was shocking. I just had to take a step further by putting it onto the Persimmons site, which they didn’t like.”

(h/t LADbible)

4 thoughts

  1. Work in progress!!! So the brickwork is temporary is it? Bloody disgraceful, i assume the warranty inspector has a white stick and a guide dog. Still, at least they didn’t need any scaffold, just climb up the brickwork! Some poor young couple will have to take out a huge mortgage to buy this crap…

  2. No excuse for bad workmanship..to many unskilled chancers chasing pots of gold..bring back proper apprenticeship training..How is it acceptable to apply for a cscs card’ answer a few questions then bingo..I’m a tradesman.Absolutely beyond comprehension.

Leave a Reply