Woman Destroys Inside Of Mouth After Eating Fireworks Instead Of Sweets

If you’ve ever caused some mischief with Fun Snaps, perhaps you know them as poppers or snappers, you’ll know that when you throw them at the ground or a hard surface they create a small audible bang.

Well imagine eating a few of them and having the chemicals eat away at the inside of your mouth and teeth.

That was the horrible reality for Lisa Boothroyd, from Rugby, who has been left with chemical burns on the inside of her mouth and a broken tooth after she mistakenly ate novelty fireworks she thought were popping candy sweets.

Assessing the damage: Image Credit Lisa Boothroyd/SWNS

Whilst out shopping at her local Costcutter, the mother-of-one was picking up some food and snacks for her neighbours when she spotted a colour box of Fun Snaps amongst the confectionary section of the store that had the words ‘crack, snap bang’ on the packaging.

Assuming this meant it was popping candy, she threw a handful of Fun Snaps into her mouth before quickly realising the mistake she’d made.

As reported in the Manchester Evening News, Lisa was in instant agony as they exploded in her mouth, leaving her with chemical burns on her lips and gums and a cracked tooth.

She went on to say it felt like her mouth was “on fire” for weeks and she could barely eat or sleep and has since been prescribed strong painkillers to help with soreness.

The section where the Fun Snaps were being displayed in Costcutter: Image Credit Lisa Boothroyd/SWNS

“I remember the moment I crunched down on a handful of the ‘sweets’ – and instantly felt explosions in my mouth.

“I felt a burning pain straight away.

“I’m still in agony and nearly lost a tooth after it cracked from the explosion.

“I just keep thinking what could have happened if I’d given them to a child – they could’ve blown her mouth apart.”

Trying to assess the damage and fearing she might lose all her teeth, she was relatively relieved to hear during her emergency dental appointment that day that despite a few teeth being loose and one cracked, she would most likely not loose any permanently.

“Although my injuries were horrible, I’m just relieved I didn’t end up losing a tooth.

The Warwickshire woman couldn’t bite down or eat anything apart from bread and butter, or mashed-up Weetabix for more than a week and was left unable to sleep due to the continual pain caused by the chemical burns, as reported in the Manchester Evening News.

Fun Snaps consist of a small amount of gravel or coarse sand impregnated with a minute quantity of silver fulminate high explosive and twisted in a cigarette paper to produce a shape resembling a cherry.

The friction-sensitive silver fulminate detonates when stepped on, ignited, or thrown on a hard surface, producing a sharp salute similar to cap guns.

Ouch!

Image Credit Lisa Boothroyd/SWNS

(H/T Manchester Evening News)

Leave a Reply