Roofer Breaks Covid Laws To Jet Ski From Scotland To Isle Of Man. Jailed.

2020 has given us a few heroes but the latest name on that list is a bloke they’re calling “The Romeo Roofer” as this has to be one of the most daring and romantic stories you’ll hear this year.

Scottish roofer Dale McLaughlan, had been forbidden to see his new girlfriend due to lockdown restrictions preventing him from visiting the Isle of Man.

The 28-year-old, from Isle of Whithorn, decided that enough was enough and that he wasn’t going to let the rules of a pandemic stop him from going to be with his new love.

So he did what any rational love-struck person would do…

He hired a jet ski and rode it over the Irish Sea, a 25 mile journey from his southern seaport home in Scotland to Ramsey.

“I’m coming baby!” Image Credit Pixabay

While he planned for the journey to only take 40 minutes, it ended up taking him 4.5 hours.

It’s important to note that up until this adventure, he had never ridden a jet ski before.

He then had to walk more than 15 miles to arrive at his girlfriend’s house in Douglas.

But here’s where the tragedy in this love story kicks in, with the Evening Standard reporting that the next day McLaughlan gave his girlfriend’s address as his own to a police officer – before visiting two buys nightclubs.

Police went on to check his identity, found he had provided false information and arrested him on Sunday.

In mitigation, his lawyers said that he had been suffering from depression and was struggling with being unable to see his partner.

In sentencing, Deputy High Bailiff Christopher Arrowsmith said McLaughlan had made a “deliberate and intentional attempt to circumnavigate” the island’s restrictions, and that the “carefully planned” crossing had put him “at very real risk” of harm.

Mclauhglan was jailed for 4 weeks. HARSH!

Although you can imagine that in the future if the couple ever has a disagreement or an argument, he’ll always be able to use the line “hey remember that time I rode across the Irish Sea on jet ski and got arrested for you?”.

Genius.

Who says romance is dead.

(H/T Evening Standard)

Leave a Reply