Leicester Plumber Turns Loft Into Cannabis Growing Factory

A plumber from Leicestershire faced Leicester Crown Court last Friday after police discovered a sophisticated hydroponic cannabis system installed in his loft.

25 plants were found up in the attic space of John Mills’ home and the sheer weight of the operation was causing the lounge ceiling below to bow.

The reason Mr Mills gave police was that he was in debt to a drug dealer, and that he had negotiated a deal whereby he would grow cannabis for them at his property in a bid to get square.

The court heard that Mr Mills had endured a particularly gruelling 18 months after losing his licence for the second time for driving under the influence in 2017, which dramatically affected his work life and income due to him being a self-employed plumber.

As reported by the Leicester Mercury, this sent the defendant into ‘a spiral of drinking and cocaine use which, in turn, caused the breakdown of his relationship with the mother of his son’.

Stock Image: Typical Hydroponic Setup

In sentencing, the court head that the defendant had since left Leicestershire and had secured new agency work as a plumber.

The judge presiding took notice of this, saying “”You owed money to drug dealers and agreed to grow cannabis for them in your attic for no profit.

“But this offending is only part of your life story which reflects a particularly dark period in your life.

“You’ve now managed to turn things completely around.

“I’m impressed you’ve sought and obtained work which will help to keep you on the straight and narrow.”

Mills was sentenced to a 12 month community order and must also carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.

(H/T Leicester Mercury)

Leave a Reply