Man Earns A Fortune After Meteorite Crashes Through His House

You know how it is: You’re bored in your living room, watching daytime TV when you’re supposed to be working from home. Four episodes deep into a Netflix true crime documentary binge and suddenly WHAMMO, a meteorite comes crashing through your house and hey presto! You’re a millionaire.

If this scenario sounds A TAD far fetched, it is, unless you happen to be Josua Hutagalung, a 33-year-old bloke from Indonesia, who’s home in Kolang, North Sumatra came into contact with a space rock, weighing in at 2.1kg.

Oh, and it’s reported to be 4.5 BILLION YEARS OLD.

The Metro are reporting that the meteor is classified as CM1/2 carbonaceous Chondrite, which is extremely rare and worth around £1.4 million, or £645 per gram.

Hutagalung was paid £1.4m for the meteor, which translates to almost 30 years salary for the 33-year-old. Not bad work if you can get it.

Speaking to local media website, Kompas, Hutagalung said, “When I lifted it, the stone was still warm and I brought it into the house. The sound was so loud that parts of the house were shaking too. And after I searched, I saw that the tin roof of the house had broken.

“I strongly suspect that this rock is indeed an object from the sky that many people call a meteorite. Because it is impossible someone deliberately threw it or dropped it from above.”

Hutagalung, a dad-of-three, revealed that he would be using part of his space rock windfall to build a church in his community.

Jared Collins, a meteorite expert from the United States who bought part of the rock, said, “My phone lit up with crazy offers for me to jump on a plane and buy the meteorite. It was in the middle of the Covid crisis and frankly it was a toss-up between buying the rock for myself or working with scientists and collectors in the US.

“I carried as much money as I could muster and went to find Josua, who turned out to be a canny negotiator.”

The rock is now bound for America, with a doctor and meteorite collector from Indianapolis now the proud new owner.

(H/T Metro)

Leave a Reply