Alcohol Sales Might Be Banned After 9pm In England

As if this awful f**king year hadn’t been bad enough, there are now reports doing the rounds claiming that alcohol sales might be prohibited after 9pm in England once the current lockdown is over.

The current restrictions are in place nationwide until Wednesday 2nd December, with the much maligned Tier system set to be reintroduced upon completed of the second lockdown.

However, during an appearance on BBC Breakfast this morning, Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick revealed that a curfew on alcohol sales from off licenses could be implemented.

“We are now reviewing the tiers so that when the national measures come to an end, we are able to move the country, we hope, back into the tiered structure.

Off licenses could face a big hit if the rumoured 9pm alcohol curfew is implemented next month. Image: Twitter

“We will be looking at whether the measures we had in the old tiers were effective. Remember they varied quite a bit in different parts of the country.

“In the new tiers, we would like greater consistency and we will have to see which measures were actually the most impactful on the virus.

“My own area of Nottinghamshire, the local council chose to go over and above and limit the sale of alcohol from off-licences and so on after a certain time, so that people didn’t go home and have parties or drink alcohol on the streets.

“So there were some tweaks to the tiers that you’re seeing in some parts of the country and it’s that sort of thing that we now need to consider.

“Was that a sensible move? If so, should we embed that in the new tier structure?”

A 10pm curfew on pubs, bars and restaurants was heavily criticised by the hospitality industry earlier this year. Image: Twitter

Prior to the current lockdown, a 10pm curfew on pubs, bars and restaurants had been introduced, to much criticism from the hospitality industry, which suffered catastrophically with the new laws, with a recent report revealing that over the course of the pandemic, 660,000 jobs in the sector have been lost.

And with off licenses relying heavily on the sale of alcohol, it could be that many of them follow suit if stricter measures come into play next month.