Tradesman Reunited With Tools After They’d Been Lost For Six Years

Good things come to those who wait and, in the case of one Dorset tradesman, the reunion with his tools has been six long years in the making.

The tradesman had lost his toolbox over half a decade ago but had marked it, so authorities were able to trace it back to him should it ever turn up.

Dorset Police’s rural crime team have often struggled with reuniting stolen tools with their owners because people have often not marked their tools, making it more difficult for them to be properly identified and traced.

A spokesperson said: “When we try and locate an owner for these items we have found items not marked with any identifying marks, they aren’t fitted with DNA products or when we have checked the police system the serial numbers aren’t on there.”

However, one tradesperson was savvy enough to properly mark his tools and was rewarded six years later for his ingenuity.

“This is because they were never provided to police at the time that the crimes were recorded or because the incidents were never reported to Dorset Police.

“We have been working our way through items trying to locate owners and the good news is we have managed to locate one item’s owner which was stolen from a tradesperson back in December 2014.

“That tradesperson had a very unexpected phone call from PC 350 to tell him that we had located his stolen item. We were able to do this thanks to him marking the tool box with his business name and contact phone number.

“By doing these simple things it may increase the likelihood of us finding you as an owner should we recover stolen items with these on.”

Well played, sir. A lesson all tradies could learn from, whether they’re in Dorset or elsewhere.

(h/t Dorset Echo)

Leave a Reply