Electrician Sprays Neighbour With Fire Extinguisher For Breaking Lockdown Rules

Taking neighbourly disputes to a whole new bizarre level, an electrician in Liverpool sprayed a family in the face with a fire extinguisher after suspecting them of breaking lockdown restrictions, a court has heard.

Darren Bates, from Fazakerley, was charged with three counts of assault by beating after he lost his temper, went over to his neighbours place with his fire extinguisher and let loose – spraying a mother, father and son in the face in a moment of chaos and confusion.

As reported by the Liverpool Echo, Prosecutor Alan Currums told Liverpool Magistrates’ Court that Bates, “sprayed the mum directly in the face from a couple of feet away before spraying the son”.

It was alleged that during the altercation the father in the neighbouring home also got involved and in turn was also on the receiving end of being sprayed and covered in foam from the extinguisher.

While no one was seriously hurt the family was incredibly distressed by the incident.

Defence lawyer, Julian Nutter, told the court that his client “was ashamed of himself and what he’s done. He deeply regrets what he has done”

“Lockdown was something of an experience I don’t think anybody of our generation had lived through. People didn’t know how to react.”

It was also pointed out to the court that the defendant had no previous convictions and that this was just an unusual ‘brain fade’ potentially brought on by the mental health affects of lockdown.

The self-employed electrician was sentenced to 120 hours of unpaid community work and must pay each victim £100 in compensation.

He was given a 12-month community order complete with 60 Rehabilitation Activity requirements as well as being ordered to pay £85 in prosecution costs.

(H/T Liverpool Echo)

Leave a Reply