Builder Died After Eating Bag And A Half Of Liquorice Every Day For 2 Weeks

A scary reminder to only enjoy in moderation. Picture credit Pixabay

An autopsy has revelled an American construction worker died after suffering a heart attack brought on by his daily consumption and obsession with liquorice.

In incredibly sad circumstances, the 54-year-old tradesmen from Massachusetts was out having lunch with some friends during work when he suddenly collapsed in the restaurant.

According to Metro, the man was consuming a bag and a half of black liquorice every single day for 2 weeks before his body stopped functioning due to dangerously low potassium levels, which in turn can lead to an irregular heart rhythm. 

While you’re here, why not check out our Tradesman Insurance? We’ve partnered with renowned business insurance provider Rhino Trade Insurance to offer our community the insurance you need at some of the best rates on the market.

“Glycyrrhizic acid was the main factor in the man’s death. It is found in black liquorice, along with many other foods and dietary supplements, but too much of it can cause imbalances in parts of the body”

The incident occurred in May last year but the findings and official cause of death were only published last week. 

If you are over 40, eating black liquorice can be extremely bad for you. Official advice from the NHS website states that “eating more than 57g (2 ounces) of black liquorice a day for at least 2 weeks could lead to potentially serious health problems, such as an increase in blood pressure and an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).

For most people, liquorice found in foods is safe to eat and safe when consumed in large amounts in medicines for short periods of time.

(H/T Metro)

Leave a Reply