Covid-19 Outbreak At Greggs Factory Will Not Affect Sausage Roll Supply

As if 2020 and the prospect of a second lockdown wasn’t bad enough, when news broke of a covid-19 outbreak at a Gregg’s factory, the thought of having to go through another extended period of time without delicious pastry goods was almost too much to bear.

Thankfully, however, the novel coronavirus hasn’t slowed down production and it will be business as usual for the UK’s favourite high street bakery.

Pastry production was briefly put on hold in Newcastle after a ‘small number’ of the 300 employees at the Balliol Business Park site in Longbenton, North Tyneside tested positive for the virus.

However, a large reserve of frozen stock has assured that no bakeries will be left short, nor will any customers be left hungry.

A Greggs spokesperson told Sky News, “Following a small number of colleagues having tested positive for COVID-19 at our Balliol manufacturing facility, we have taken the decision to temporarily stop production as a precautionary measure to keep our teams as safe as possible.

“We do not foresee any stock shortages in our shops at this time.”

What a relief!

The high street bakery did close it’s doors on all sites across the UK back in March at the beginning of the initial nationwide lockdown, but would eventually open their doors once more as the government sanctioned reopenings of the economy.

(h/t Metro)