Electrician Books Luxury Hotel To Celebrate Engagement. Spends Night In Jail Instead.

A recently engaged electrician who travelled to Belfast to celebrate his engagement spent the night in prison rather than the 4-star hotel he had romantically booked, a court has heard.

John Paul Savage, 31, was arrested for drunk and disorderly behaviour right outside the luxury hotel in Belfast he was supposed to be staying in for the evening with his new fiancée.

Where John and his fiancée should have been staying. Image Credit Creative Commons

The couple from Tyrone had travelled to Belfast in order to pick out a ring and celebrate their engagement in style at the Grant Central Hotel. That was until things got…out of hand

As reported by the Belfast Telegraph, the Northern Irish electrician was “captured on body worn footage by police, shouting and swearing at a very high volume”.

In a cheeky dig at the electrician, District Judge Mark Hamill said “He spent the night in custody and she spent the night in the Grand Central, I’m sure she’s having second thoughts if she has any sense”.

Ouch.

During court proceedings on Saturday, Mr Savage’s defence lawyer revealed that his client had an unfortunate history of alcohol abuse and within the last 6 months had attended several Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

In an expensive weekend he’ll never forget, the cost of the hotel stay and engagement ring was on top of his bail bill of £500 and he was also ordered to lodge a cash surety for a further £500.

He is due back in court on October 9.

(H/T Belfast Telegraph)