Son Attempts To Buy House With Whisky

A 28-year collection of single malt whisky has been put up for sale in the hopes of raising enough money to purchase a first home.

Matthew Robson, 28, has received an 18-year-old bottle of Macallan single malt whisky every single year for his birthday from his dad since 1992, but he’s never tasted a drop.

28 years (and bottles) later, and that collection is now worth a massive £40,000.

While it might seem like a strange gift for…well the first 18 years of Matthews life, Mathew’s father Pete had long planned for this to be a nest egg for his son and somehow ensured he kept the collection in pristine condition.

A single bottle of the stuff usually retails for £250, but a collection of this size with dates going as far back as 1974 makes this one incredible unique and long term investment.

Speaking to the bbc.co.uk, Matthew said “Each year I received it as a birthday present. I thought it was quite a quirky little present as I was slightly too young to start drinking. But I was under strict instructions, never, never to open them and I tried my hardest and succeeded and they’re all intact.”

Talk about self control.

Whisky broker, Mark Littler, who will be handing the sale of this amazing collection, has suggested there has already been keen interest to purchase from a variety of overseas buyers.

If it does sell and secure the house deposit he’s after, I wonder what they’ll drink to celebrate?

Picture Source: Pixabay

(H/T BBC news)

Leave a Reply