Electrician Helps Out Elderly And Vulnerable People With Free Work During Lockdown

In a story that will bring some much needed heartwarming joy to 2020, a Wigan electrician is making headlines for helping the elderly and vulnerable during lockdown.

Karl Mather, owner of KDM Electrical has decided to ‘give something back’ during the Covid-19 pandemic, specifically helping those in need who have been more severely affected than most over the last few months.

The 39-year-old from Swinley told Wigan Today, “The daughter of one lady rang up saying her mum’s house needed some rewiring done.

“When I got to the house, she burst into tears and said the electrician hadn’t done the work properly and had charged her.

“So I offered to do the work for free and reported the engineer to trading standards.

“There was also an elderly gentleman whose house was falling to pieces and I did some work for him.”

In addition to this, Karl is also contributing to charity Helping The Homeless.

“When people are housed, they need electrical work doing, so I would do that for them or give them free appliances. I just want to give something back and help vulnerable people.”

As if that wasn’t enough, Karl also helped an elderly couple in their eighties who were facing Christmas without their central heating, paying to repair their broken heaters when they couldn’t afford to.

The 39-year-old was one of eight tradies to reach the final of Screwfix’s Britain’s Top Tradesperson 2017.

“I just love what I do. I will always go the extra mile to help my customers, especially those in need.”

(h/t Wigan Today)