Kebab Shop Fined £4,000 For Illegal 3am Rave

Sometimes, even when it’s time for the customary kebab and chips before the taxi home, you’re just not ready for a night out to be over. So a 3am rave in the takeaway sounds absolutely ideal, doesn’t it? Well not for one establishment in Queensland, Australia it wasn’t.

The owner of a Brunswick Street Mall kebab shop has been fined $7,000 (roughly £4,000) after a non-socially distanced rave broke at his eatery, with nobody wearing masks while dancing the night away with their doner meat and garlic mayo.

A TikTok video of the impromptu party was posted over the weekend, alerting the authorities to the situation, where ‘Pump It Up’ by Endor was blaring out of the speakers.

A statement from Queensland Police said, “Business operators and patrons are reminded to adhere to public health directions including social distancing measures at all times to reduce the risk of Covid-19 spreading in Queensland.”

The owner of the establishment has been fined $7,000 for the rave. Image: TikTok

Current laws restrict the number of customers allowed in a venue at any one time, with authorities stating that only the kebab shop has been fined because it would take too much time attempting to identify everyone in the TikTok video.

In an interview with Sunrise, Queensland Deputy Police Commissioner Steve Gollschewski said of the incident, “Unfortunately I don’t think there was too much thinking going on at all. The message has been very clear around what we expect of both our business operators and the community when it comes to social distancing.

“So the message to all of those persons, and a lot of them are young people, I hate to say – so, sorry young people – is to have a think before you go out about the impacts of your not abiding by the social distancing in the community and what that means.

The scenes were filmed on TikTok, which alerted the police to the rave. Image: TikTok

“It’s certainly putting our police under pressure. Because the licensed premises are by and large doing the right thing, it’s the people that are attending the store aren’t quite getting the message that we would like to see.”

Still, when all this is over, if we could turn more kebab houses into dance floors, that would be wonderful. Cheers.

(h/t Sunrise)